Friday 25 January 2013

Today I Have Been Mostly....

.... Cleaning Skulls....

Mmmm, what a delightful morning I've had. I got up early and ate breakfast, watched silent witness. waited a couple of hours until I knew my food was going to stay where it should and then I took my box of maggots and skulls up to the snowy downs and emptied it.....

Luckily the cold weather had killed the maggots before they turned into flies. But them dying in with what little rotting flesh was left on the skulls created an almighty 'perfume'. Now I know what medieval towns smelled like.

I sat in the snow with some vinyl gloves on, wiping away the soil and clusters of maggots. Molly came to keep me company but didn't last very long. She threw up behind a snowman. I'm stronger stomached than her. As I lay out the semi-clean skulls out I heard a caw above my head and looked up to see a crow staring down at me form the tree branches. I left the big pile of maggots for his dinner.

Back home i rinsed the skulls and gently scrubbed the dirt away with an old toothbrush. I haven;t got anything to bleach them with yet as I don't want to use anything too strong. At the moment I've left them to soak in a tube of vinegar and bicarb. It should hopefully harden them.



Just after de-maggoting.


Vinegar and Bicarb.




My Initials. Kinda Cool.








No comments:

Post a Comment