Thursday 7 March 2013

Dressing the Birds


I'm dressing the crows. I found some great fabric for their shirt (Primark knickers no less!) which i retro fitted to the torso. Using black lycra cotton for the suit I used the same method. I really enjoy making costumes- I'm not skilled enough seamstress to make myself wicked garments but I can make small ones for my puppets instead. I think costume is a big part of designing a puppet for me, I've always believed clothes play a huge role in defining a persona. This is probably why I got in trouble at school everyday for customising my uniform.





Hands- Wire armature, sandwiched between foam, dipped in
 latex and white emulsion. I drew the bone detail with marker pen.








The buttons I made out of Miliput. The photo's not very good
but I made little needle holes too.



My original design had a proper ruff made out of feathers
that went all the way round the neck. It worked for the prototype puppet
but the final is bigger and the necks are more spaced apart so the collar ruff
looked odd and also it covered the detail on the necks... 

...So instead I made a sort of cape ruff and some shoulder  pads.


No comments:

Post a Comment